Dec 17, 2008

Concert Reviews - Turisas & DragonForce

What do you expect when you get tickets to see DragonForce? I don't think anyone really knows what to expect. I expected to laugh, I guess.

When I first heard DragonForce, I honestly thought they were a band that was making fun of metal just because they are so cheesy. That was a year or two ago. One day I finally realized that they were a serious band that was just ridiculous. I didn't know what to think after that.

Last night was the last concert of the year for us. When we heard that DragonForce was playing in Calgary, we laughed and thought, yea, maybe if the tickets are cheap or if they have a sweet opening band.

So I did some digging and found out that a band called Turisas was opening for them. For those of you who haven't read my band review on them, I'll summarize it: I fucking love that band. The first song I heard was a metal cover of the song "Rasputin" by Boney M. How awesome is that? They also do a cover of "Those Were the Days," which is also amazing. But not only do they do brilliant covers, but their own work is amazing. Matthias "Warlord" Nygård is exactly what I've been looking for in a viking/folk metal singer, and they have an accordion player, Netta Skog, who is insane, and a violinist, Olli Vänskä, who is pretty much my hero in the world of violins. So, needless to say, I was pretty stoked to see them last night, even though they were opening for Dragonforce.


Powerglove, faintly
The first band on the venue was called Powerglove. We missed most of them because we were in the merch line. When we finally got out though, we encountered one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen: a bunch of guys in ridiculous foam costumes (the singer looked like he had spiked Koopa shells on his shoulders and the drummer had two tall flags on his shoulders) with a giant inflated bat on stage with them, opening with a song about the ultimate weapon in Final Fantasy VII - Omnishred. I almost had a heart attack from a combination of hysterical laughter and amazement, because it was actually really good. Then they did a song about a plumber who does fireflowers and mushrooms, who flushed himself down the toilet and instead of dying, like most people, ended up in the Mushroom Kingdom: Mario Minor. And they ended with none other than the Power Rangers theme, metal style. I remained in shock (and amusement) because, as lame as they really and truly looked, the music was pretty sweet. I am a huge nerd, so I appreciated it.

Turisas

Turisas came next, and they were really what I wanted to see. Well, I really wanted to see them live in their homeland where they have a bigger following, but why not see them in Canada while they're here?

Netta and Jussi
They opened with Battle Metal, A Portage to the Unknown, One More (a drinking song in celebration of trying out three new beers in Canada, all of which gained the seal of approval), In the Court of Jarisleif, the cover of Rasputin that I love so much, and ended with To Holmgard and Beyond.
Warlord
This set, to my immense delight, included four out of four songs that I wanted to hear (Battle Metal, One More, Rasputin, and To Holmgard and Beyond).

Warlord, enjoying some Canadian beer
It was all awesome. Battle Metal got the crowd interested, and The Court of Jarisleif let them mosh around like madmen. They had one of the best responses for an opening band I've seen this year and, as a huge fan myself, I thought it was awesome. The vocals were great, Netta on the accordion was incredible, and Olli on violin was particularly brilliant. All of the musicians in that band were just amazing. And I do love that they dress up like barbarians in war paint and fur and leather and all that good stuff. It was fantastic, they have great energy, really got the crowd going, and the music was phenomenal. It was without a doubt the best opening show I've seen, and one of the most enjoyable concerts (aside from being way too short) I've seen this year.
Hanu and Olli

While DragonForce was setting up, Hannes "Hanu" Horma (bass) and Olli Vänskä were out in the lobby and I went to talk to them. They're both incredibly nice guys, really excited to see someone who came to the show to see them and not DragonForce, and Olli said that getting some sheet music for download is on his list of things to do (being a violinist, I asked him if he has any because his stuff is just brilliant). They were both very friendly and pleasant guys, and very appreciative of the support they were getting.
Turisas, bidding the crowd goodnight


DragonForce

So lastly was DragonForce. I have heard that these guys are terrible live, so I wasn't expecting much from them, save for a good laugh. Well... I did get my good laugh, several times over. They're absolutely absurd to watch as they dance around on stage and the keyboard player rocks out like he overdosed on speed before coming onstage. It was hilarious. However, to my immense shock, the music wasn't bad. They seemed to successfully execute their solos and the sound was good. So you may ask then, why did I not stay for the whole show? Well, to be perfectly honest, I don't know any of their songs, save for Through Fire and Flames, but they all sound the same. This reminded me of why I don't actually listen to DragonForce on a regular basis - because there is no differentiation between songs. There is decent singing, really good guitar playing, entertaining keyboarding with good soloing, and so on and so forth. But even if it's good, if you don't know it and it all sounds the exact same, it's not really that interesting. So needless to say, we stuck it out for a while, but didn't think it was worth standing for another hour to finish watching. We didn't get to see Through Fire and Flames, but we figured they'd play it at the end and didn't want to watch the whole concert to see one song that sounded just like all the other ones we had been listening.

The coolest part of their portion of the show was when Netta came out during the keyboard player's solo song and they had a speedy dual of accordion vs keytar.
Keyboard vs accordion
It was fun to watch their fingers flying around and I won't deny that I was a little more than impressed. It takes some serious talent to know all those tiny buttons on an accordion well enough to fly across them that quickly.

So in the end, Powerglove was a great new discovery, DragonForce proved themselves to be competent live, and the only disappointment from Turisas was the short length of their set. I hope they come back again, headlining, so I can hear more of them live. It was a great performance and I'd recommend anyone to check them out.

Hanu, me, and Olli.


Year: December 2008
Opening bands: Powerglove
Who I went with: Michael Widmer
Location: Calgary - Mac Hall

No comments: