Oct 5, 2008

Concert Reviews - Nightwish (Toronto)

I will always be disappointed that I never got to see Nightwish while Tarja Turunen was singing for them.

I saw them in Ontario while they were on tour for their new album, Dark Passion Play with the new singer, Anette Olzon.

Paradise Lost was the opening band - not one I'm familiar with, but they were good for an opening. I had a few friends who were there just for the opening and they left happy after the show.

Let me start now by saying that the music was fantastic. Marco's got quite a weird voice but he can sing and he does it well live. They are all great showmen and they make you happy to be there. Tuomas was wearing... oddly... what appeared to be a dirty wife beater, which seemed a bit inappropriate considering I find him to be a musical genius, but hey, as I said, if you're a rockstar, you wear whatever you want onstage.

I think that, in the end, the show would have been better with Tarja. I loved her opratic vocals and she was a dark performer and I liked her stage presence in their videos and DVDs. However, Anette performed the DPP songs beautifully, and if you like the new stuff, I think you'd love the concert. She did a good job of the old songs as well considering she hasn't been with the band all that long and I think as she grows with them and improves, she'll do even better. However, I still feel that they would have been better with the original singer performing them.

I think that Anette was a decent choice for the band. She is definitely different but I think it's in a good way. If you like the new CD, you'll like the concert, but if you're a hardcore Tarja fan and don't like the new music you might decide to skip this one. I'm a fan of both and I'll be seeing them again on their western Canada dates.

Year: 2007
Who I went with: Michael Widmer
Opening bands: Paradise Lost
Location: The Docks, Toronto

No comments: