Oct 8, 2008

General Reviews - Turisas

So Dragonforce is coming to town. I found this out when I was picking up tickets to the In Flames and Amon Amarth/Ensiferum shows and I was thinking, "haha, sweet, I bet they're terrible live - I wonder how much tickets cost." I asked the girl and she said the whole shebang was around $45 total (she was lying, I looked online and saw they were $35 a few days ago). And for someone who paid $35 to see In Flames, a sweet band, why would I pay that much to see a band who is good for amusement value at best and is probably terrible live? Yea, wasn't planning on going.

However, a few days ago I thought I'd look and see who's opening, just incase they're sweet. It's this band called Turisas that I'd never heard of before, so I went to look on youtube to have a listen. Well, if you know Turisas, you will know that the first song I came across would be Rasputin. So I hit it and listen. Then I think, "hey, I know that tune.... oh man! OH MAN! YES! FUCKING YES!" It was a metal cover of Rasputin by Boney M, which is a sweet disco song made even SWEETER by being metal. I came very close to soiling myself with excitement.

So I go to the next song, which was the official video made of fan clips for the song Battle Metal, which I guess is their big thing. The song was awesome in a way that claims fame to wicked music, killer vocals, and just a hint of cheese.

So of course I went straight to Play and bought The Varagian Way (limited Paganfest tour edition). It's more or less a story album about a viking journey, from what I gathered (Varangian being a term for viking).

I popped it onto my computer and started copying it and I thought... this first song (To Holmgard and Beyond) is unbelievable! The intro music draws you right in and I love Mathias "Warlord" Nygård's vocals. You can tell the thick Finnish accent without it limiting his voice, but actually makes it seem more suitable for the music. And the music - it's just awesome. The whole collaboration of the actually band members' instruments with the symphonic stuff that Warlord provided for the background just makes the song. Also, Warlord growls just enough to change up the vocals but without being annoying. I straight up love it.

The next song (A Portage to the Unknown) starts out with an accordion intro that has kind of a piratey-viking feel to it that you don't get in much metal unless you venture into the realms of Finntroll and Korpiklaani. The slowed down vocals are really nice so you can actually hear what Warlord is saying. The collaboration of multiple singers into the chorus gives it more of an epic feel too. I particularly like when one of them busts out the "give me all you 'ave..."

I wasn't sure at first if I liked Cursed Be Iron or not. I find the clanking blacksmith noises to be cool but the initial singing has a bit more of a mainstream American feel to it. However, once he slows down with the accordion droning in the background it sounds good again. After you get past the intro shock, it actually sounds just heavy and not American. I also really like the part at the end with the whispering. I read that this song was inspired by a finnish epic poem called The Kavelava but I couldn't find it to compare. Lyrically this song is very interesting.

I actually didn't know Fields of Gold was a separate song at first because Cursed Be Iron flows into it so directly. It takes the feel of Cursed Be Iron and continues on with it, softening the harshess and allowing the song to be a bit more musical. It has a nice feel following Cursed Be Iron.

The Court of Jarisleif is another one with a bit of a Finntroll folky feel to it, just a happy accordion song that makes you want to dance around and party with King Jarisleif, like the song indicates. Jarisleif was actually a ruler in Rus (Yaroslav I the Wise), so this song is actually a very entertaining take on real history. The violinist really gets going in this song too, which I really like.

I LOVE the intro the Five Hundred and One. The piano has a really beautiful sound that reminds me of the title screen music for the Tristan and Isolde DVD and I love the music from that movie. The song is a bit heavier than I would've expected from such a pretty intro. It changes quite abruptly but becomes a really intense song, going up and down in intensity while maintaining flow.

The Dnieper Rapids really does feel like an raging river as it starts. Warlord's little introductory growl is a nice touch leading into the false sense of calm that comes before the vocals pick up again. This one picks up and makes you feel on edge, putting you in the place of raging rapids. The chorus singing is pretty awesome as well.

The Miklagard Overture is very blatantly an epic song. It is the end to the journey of The Varangian Way and ends it in a dramatic fashion. You even hear him near the beginning saying "to Holmgard and beyond" again, but softer. The backing music just adds the oomph that gets you into the great conclusion of the CD. It stirs you up and lets you out gently while you still want more, and is really a fantastic conclusion to the album. However, lucky me, my copy of TVW had copies of Battle Metal and Rasputin at the end of the CD, so there is fun still to be had once the adventure that is this CD is finished.

For the band themselves, I did some research and I really respect them. Warlord says that he's not writing about dragons and cheesy crap like that, their music has meaning and substance and they believe in it. I really respect that (how'd they end up being the opening band for Dragonforce? Haha!)

As well, just from fans alone, they seem like really nice, friendly guys. They are shockingly young but have done unbelievably well for themselves considering. Their ages range from 18 (Netta Skog, the accordion player) to 27 (the violinist, Olli Vänskä). Their warpaint and viking/barbarian outfits are pretty awesome and their live shows, from what I've seen on the bonus disk, are incredible. They've already made a fair name for themselves in Europe, playing festivals and the like.

What I find is incredible is that, for the style of viking/folk metal, it's not really been heard much in Canada yet. I mean, Finntroll is the biggest and original folk band and they just came to Canada last month for the first time. Helloween, who is a power metal band who've been around since at least the 90s, just came to Calgary for their first time too! These unique bands don't usually get to Canada for YEARS, and Turisas is already big enough to be opening for Dragonforce, and coming to Canada after they've been around for not even 3 years. That's insane!

As a violinist, I really appreciate the fact that these guys have, along with vocals, guitar, bass, and drums, an actual violinist and accordion player IN the band, not just in the studio. It's nice to know that Netta and Olli are respected as actual metal musicians, not just studio music. I really like that. And Warlord is just a genius in general. He writes most of the lyrics, as well as does the piano (now that their pianist quit) and symphonic backing music in studio.

So in summary, I have been listening to Turisas since... approximately October 3rd, and I think they are bloody brilliant. Warlord's vocals are everything I've ever hoped to find in a viking metal band, they have incredible musicians, including those guys who make the extra folky music included in their songs, and they put together one hell of an epic adventure on their second CD. So before, when I was saying that I wouldn't be going to Dragonforce... yea, I'll be going, but not to see them. I want to hear some Battle Metal and rock out to Turisas!

No comments: