Oct 5, 2008

Concert Reviews - System of a Down

This was on the tour for Hypnotize in the summer of 2006.

I don't have a lot to say about this. The band performs live just as well as they perform in the studio. Serj Tankian is an amazing singer and in 2006 his hair was a sight to behold. However, next to the other singer, Daron Malakian, I found he didn't do as much as I suspected. He did do a lovely acoustic intro to one of my favorite slower songs of theirs (might've been Lonely Day but it was a few years ago so I don't really remember) and this happened with one or two other songs too. The other singer has a wail that is unique and great to hear live, and they put on a fantastic show.

My disappointments with them were that they played every song off Mezmerize but not near as many as Hypnotize. Being the album they were on tour for, I was hoping for more of that. Not that hearing the entire Mezmerize album was a bad thing, I had just hoped for MORE of Hypnotize. My other complaint was that they didn't do an encore. Seriously... who doesn't do an encore? Your fans are screaming for more and you're just like, nah I don't feel like it? That's lame...

That aside, if these guys ever come back from their hiatus (have they already? If they have, I've not heard...) then go and see them and you'll be happy with the performance. Just don't wait around for them to give you any special extras after they leave stage.

Year: 2006
Who I went with: Francois Coetzer
Opening bands: can't recall
Location: Rexall Place (main venue), Edmonton

No comments: