Oct 5, 2008

Concert Reviews - Sonata Arctica

If you're not familiar with Sonata Arctica, go listen to Reckoning Night and Unia right now. I only started listening to Sonata Arctica in the last year and they quickly moved up to become one of my all-time favorite power metal bands.

I was pleased to find that I was able to stand on a set of stairs at this venue for the show which gave me an ample visual field to watch the entire show. Tony Kakko is a cute little man who was dressed in a manner that reminded me of my brother when he's snowboarding. They all looked and sounded fantastic and I am ever impressed by Henrik Klingenburg's ability to play the keytar and actually make it cool instead of undeniably lame. Tony Kakko has a voice that could make a bear purr like a kitten and while sticking mostly to songs off their newer albums, they didn't fail to give us some old live favorites like Fullmoon, The Cage, and Victoria's Secret (dedicated, as always, to those wearing underwear).

For an encore, Tony Kakko split up the crowd and had everyone making different drum noises and then used his "drums" to play a tune and started singing We Will Rock You by Queen. This tiny little Finnish man puts on an undeniably great show and the musicians are enthusiastic and play to the crowd and for the crowd.

If you are ANY sort of power metal fan, even if you haven't listened to them that much, go see them. Follow them around. You will not be sorry.

Year: 2008
Who I went with: Michael Widmer
Opening bands: no idea
Location: The Starlite Room, Edmonton
Ton Kakko belting out another song.

No comments: